Sunday, June 12, 2016

Balloon Birthday Cards


Both of my kids had birthday parties to go to recently. This means that there were cards to be made!

First, my youngest was invited to the party for a girl in his class. I don't get to make very many girl birthday cards, so this one was lots of fun. We had learned from her mom that she likes to draw with glitter pens, so I decided that she needed some sparkle on her card!


A few months ago I picked up several ombre ink pads at Michaels. They were their Recollections brand. I also bought the Ombre Sentiments: Birthday stamp set from Papertrey Ink and really the two are a perfect match. I used my MISTI to perfectly line up the sentiment three times on a narrow strip of card stock that was mounted on the left side with foam dots. 




The right side, as you can see, was filled with glittery balloons! I dug out several shades of pink and purple cardstock that seemed to go with the ink colors and covered a small piece of each color with double sided tape (2.5" wide, from Stamp On It). Then I punched out 2 different sized balloons from each color. I removed the other side of the paper on the tape and covered each balloon with micro fine glitter from Sweet Stamps. Even after burnishing the glitter, it still made gave the balloons a very white-ish look, so I went over the glitter with a Spectrum Nior alcohol marker in a color that matches the card stock and they were instantly spectacular!


Some of the balloons were glues flat to the card and the other were popped up using two different thickness of foam dots. I loved the way the final product turned out. It was a little bit hard to give it away!




The following day, my oldest attended the birthday party of one of his best friends and fellow Star Wars geeks. My son requested the card be something Star Wars, but had no further suggestions or ideas. After a quick Google image search for "Star Wars cards", I was inspired to make this:


I finished it just barely in time for him to sign it and get it in an envelope before we dashed out the door to the party, so this is my only picture. BB8 was assembled with a variety of circle dies and punches and some hand cut scraps of grey. The balloon on this one is a die (from this Jillian Vance set) and was cut from yellow vellum and white card stock. I was just going to use the vellum, but the black background overpowered it, so I backed it with a white die cut. A little bit of orange and white twine finished things off nicely.

It was reported back to me that the birthday boy liked the card, so I am counting this one as a great success as well!

I hope you liked my cards today. Thanks for visiting, and don't be afraid to leave a comment and say "Hi".

2 comments:

  1. They are both fabulous! I can't even decide which one I like better... but I guess I don't need to. :) You had some very clever ideas there! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take all the credit for BB8... I used several cards I found online as a models, but the first card was all my own. Glad you like them!

      Delete